Friday, February 5, 2010

Interpersonal Conflict - Resolved (Late post in March)

RESOLVED:

With five minutes left on the clock and a difficult person to convince, our team made the decision to not give in to his suggested changes. The reason was simply a lack of time to alter the course of action we have decided upon. Mr. A was seemingly unhappy at first, but finally accepted the group decision.

The way I chose to resolve the conflict was to explain the practical reasons to Mr. A. Not all situations can tap on using practical reasoning with little or no consideration for another person's feelings. But I think in this situation where time is short, emotions should be suppressed to a certain extent in order to facilitate team work. Moreover, we should not compromise a team effort just for the reason of displaying one's ability to convince and lead. These were the reasons for me taking a practical approach.

Perhaps the way I work could be better improved to consider the feelings of my teammates. However, I find it difficult to accomodate everybody's feelings when it comes to team work. As such, the seemingly easy way out is to adopt a stern and practical approach.

Expecting myself to take up leadership roles in the future, resolving interpersonal conflict will be one of my top priorities, in terms of training the said skill. I am starting to see how leading can be difficult, especially in resolving interpersonal conflicts. But I am willing to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment